- It is need to know before start to write any program in C,What is C, for what purpose it was developed, when and where and by whom. And also I would like to discuss the structure of a C program and how to write C program.
- C is a General purpose computer programming language. At beginning the C language was developed for a specific reason i.e. to design the Unix Operating System. Later the C Language was works on the Unix Operating System platform.
- Even though C language was developed for a specific purpose(for designing system software i.e Unix O/S), later it was widely used for designing application software.
- The C Language was developed in the middle of 1969 to 1973 at AT & T Bell Laboratories in USA by Dennis Ritchie.
- The C Language is a powerful and very simple to write programs. Because of C language had many built-in functions and had its own Operators which are more useful for writing any complex program in C language.
Because C is such a powerful, dominant and supple language, its use quickly spread beyond Bell Labs. In the late 70’s C began to replace widespread well-known languages of that time like PL/I, ALGOL etc. Programmers everywhere began using it to write all sorts of programs. Soon, however, different organizations began applying their own versions of C with a subtle difference. This posed a serious problem for system developers. To solve this problem, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) formed a committee in 1983 to establish a standard definition of C. This committee approved a version of C in 1989 which is known as ANSI C. With few exceptions, every modern C compiler has the ability to adhere to this standard. ANSI C was then approved by the International Standards Organization (ISO) in 1990.
Now, what about the name? Why it was named C, why not something else. The C language is so named because its predecessor was called B. The B language was developed by Ken Thompson of Bell Labs.
C Language was developed by Dennis Ritche at BELL Telephone Laboratories in U.S.A. in the year 1972.